Windows 10 Run Dialog Box is used to open utilities with less human effort. All a user has to do is execute a directory’s command and he’s good to go. But sometimes it’s hard to remember the shortcuts to various applications. A user has to remember the short keyword and only then he’s allowed to execute it from the Run facility.
Also, it only allows you to open Windows OS utilities from it. Because this service is also available in the older versions of Windows OS, the commands are the same for all versions. For further convenience of such OS users, I present a way to Open Any Program Using Run Dialog Box. This way, users will be allowed to access any folder or application directly from the Run Dialog Box.
How Do I Open Any Program Using Run Dialog Box?
Accessing an item from the Run Box is easy, but only if you know to enable this facility. For such a cause, I’m going to tweak the Windows 10 registry and add a new key. You’ll be required to do exactly the same. Imply the following steps to complete the task:
- Press Windows + R button to open Run Box and execute “Regedit” from it.
- This will open the Windows Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following path in the Registry Editor:
- Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
- Now right-click on the “App Paths”, hover your mouse to new and select “key”
- Name the new key as the name of the app which you want to open from the Run dialog box. For instance, if you want to open a messenger app, name it “messenger.exe”
- Double-click on the newly made key from the right-side window. Inside the key properties box, set value name as “Default” and value data as “C:\Program Files\Messenger\Messenger.exe”
- Right-click on the empty space inside the registry editor, take your mouse cursor to new and select “String Value”. Name it as you desire, in my case, I’ve named it URL.
- After creating the new String Value, double-click on it and set its Value data as “C:\Program Files\Messenger”
- Open the Run Dialog Box and use it to open any application by typing its name in it.
That’s all, keep visiting igeeksguides for more.